Project 2 is one project I won’t forget about. Not because I had a great time working on it mind you, its because I learned something from it.
Initially, I wanted to create a project that allows the user to create their own characters. A project that showcases character production as it’s main concept and show how designing a character is more than just visual aesthetics. The origin of this objective is from the use of character design here in the Middle East where a majority of characters made are simply to fill in a niche in advertising and marketing, where the character’s main purpose is to be simply a character, not at the very least a representation of the business’s product and/or service.
My project was initially inspired by the totem pole, where blocks of characters or body parts would be stacked up on top of each other. This form of stacking is what I wanted to implement into my character design, an implementation of kinetic learning for character production.
The project was sound for a point until I had to do research and execution. I used up my time building up on how the character design blocks would work, how their shapes would be, and what the characters would become. But I had my first problem, I was worrying too much on how I am using my time. I ended up spending a good portion of my time researching that I didn’t count in the execution of the project, which would take just as long of a timeframe.
This lead to me cancelling my second project altogether. I kept on working on it for so long that I lost my sense of direction, to put it simply, here are the main reasons why I canceled:
- It was too new: The fact that I had to teach myself a new program and figure out how to execute it all in a limited timeframe. It was unrealistic looking back.
- There was a great deal of creative limitation: Lego is fun because the blocks could be stacked not just vertically, but horizontally, diagonally, in different colors, different parts, whatever, it was very flexible of a medium. What I was going for was very limiting in the sense that it only allowed so many combinations. Even if you could make 100 different characters from a set, it still won’t be enough and would still be limiting to the user.
- It lost its message: The project was meant to be a means to brainstorm. The more I worked on it the foggier the objective became. It just didn’t set well with me in the end, what started out as a fun tool to goof off at ended up being a waste of time that wasted my time altogether.
This was a harsh reminder of how much time I truly have and hindered my progress in completing my thesis. However, this is not purely bad news. I was able to recover and work on a new second project. The new project altered the objective, but it still retains the concept of an interactive piece. I’ll explain it in further detail on the next post.